Pages

Friday, August 2, 2013

Busy Summer

Hello Everyone!!   I know it has been a long time! But my summer has been crazy busy and something just had to go.  I am afraid it was blogging. But not for good! Just until the beautiful, sunny days are not calling my name.

When the summer heat arrived in the valley, I was having a hard time finding motivation to exercise.  I even cut back on how many days I exercised.  As it is every year, I eventually start getting used to the heat, and will find motivation again to get moving.  

I promised myself this summer that I was going to do some things that would be a new challenge.  I went to our church teen camp as a counselor.  Every year they hike to the top of Donkey Rock.  I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I just had to try.  I was assuming that it was just going to be a trail or a road.  I was wrong!  Through the years they have forged a trail up the side of the mountain.  It was going to be a quite a challenge for me.

We started with 116 hikers.....



Our first challenge was crossing a creek over a log.  Easy peasy to what was to come!



Here the trail starts to climb.....


As you can see, it was single file, straight up.


After awhile,  we started hiking through bushes also.


Then came the rocks!!  Up and sometimes over  we went!


I was getting tired and pushing myself harder then I ever had.  Right before the final climb to the top, we came to some more rocks.  It was climb through.....or climb over.  Yeah right!! I could see myself getting stuck! But I trusted our guide and he assured me that I could make through.  I really need to save what energy had left for the final climb.  I made it through.....sideways at the end. Whew!!




Exhausted I reached the final climb! Thankfully one of the men in our church was waiting to help the ladies, and he helped propel me the the top. :o)

The view was worth the climb!  Absolutely beautiful!



Another thing to check off of my bucket list......I climbed Donkey Rock!  116 started to the top and 114 made it!


But what goes up.....must come down.  Going down was just as hard as going up.  I got most of my scrapes and bruises from going down.    Leaving the top you can see the rocks whe had to climb.



Down....Down....Down.....we go!  It took us one hour and 15 mins to get to the top and 45 mins to get down.


A challenge was met and I was very proud of myself.  No I am not ready for Half Dome at Yosemite, but I may hike Donkey Rock again.  Well see.....

I hope everyone is doing well with their healthy journey.  I hope to check in with you and see how you all are doing!

Have a wonderful weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from all of you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!
(Due to spam, I only take comments from registered users)