Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Unexpected Motivation

It was Monday, and it was my first day back to the gym after our mini-vacation.  Tonight I was making myself work out.  I was feeling a little lazy after a fun weekend with family.  I walked to through the gym and since I have been going to the gym since January 1st,  I am starting to recognize the regulars.  This particular night, an empty treadmill was next to an elderly patron.  She comes very regular and we have only just greeted each other with a smile and a wave.   Tonight, she greeted me and asked me how long I have been coming.  She noticed how faithful I have been and she could see the changes.  You can?  I was so surprised at her compliments, but excited also.    This little lady is go getter!  I have been watching her, because she faithfully walks six miles on the treadmill,  with incline too!  Tonight she asked me how old I thought she was.  She looked to be my parents age, so I guessed in her seventies.  I wasn't right!  This amazing lady is in her eighties.  88 to be exact!  And she really IS amazing!!  

 She was really talkative this night and I just listened.  She exercises five days a week because she has to stay healthy.  She believes that what she is doing is keeping her out of a convalescent home.  She knows the day she goes will be the beginning of the end and she doesn't want that.  She exercises five days a week and does not eat after 5pm during the weekdays.  She is a little more flexible on the weekends.   She has not eaten a hamburger or hot dog for 25 years and never eats fried foods.  If she has pizza, she never has meat on it, it is just veggies.  One of her weaknesses is chocolate.  She does allow herself to have that.  She amazingly does not take any meds besides her vitamins.  That is fantastic!!   At her age, she says that her metabolism doesn't work anymore and she has to keep from gaining weight.  That is why she eats right and exercises daily.

I listened attentively to her talk.   She was proof of the rewards of a healthy lifestyle.  That night I walked in lazily, without a lot of motivation.  But after talking with Ms. Amazing, I felt ashamed of my thoughts and was more motivated than I had ever been before.  This is not a short journey.....it is a long journey that will have long lasting results.  I can honestly say that I did not expect to be motivated when I went to the gym,  but I got more than I bargained for.




post signature

5 comments:

  1. I want to be like her when I grow up! So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy you took the words right out of my mouth. Me too! :) Thanks for sharing this story with us Frances , I enoyed it very much

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post, Frances! We all need to be this motivated.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from all of you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!
(Due to spam, I only take comments from registered users)